Local Medical Committees pre date the NHS and were formed following the National Health Insurance Act in 1911. The Local Panel Committees, as they were then known, were given recognition allowing them to represent the voice of General Practice.

Prior to the formation of the BMA there were no regulations on who could practice medicine. The BMA (formally the Provincial Medical and Surgical Association) pushed for a regulatory body to change this and the General Medical Council was born.

Then, in 1911 the National Insurance Act was passed meaning workers that contributed had access to medical care. Following this the BMA formed Local Panel Committees to represent doctors that provided care under the act. The act also required Local Insurance Committees to consult with the Local Panel Committee on any issues. In 1913 Local Panel Committees were renamed Local Medical Committees.

Although there have been many changes since 1913 (the formation of the NHS in 1948 being only one of them) Local Medical Committees have been representing General Practice and GPs in the local area for over 100 years.